Sunday, May 31, 2015

Meet the Triathletes!


Kia Ora. My name is Iisa and I am a 12 year old, year 8 student from Pt England School, entering the Iron Māori Rangatahi triathlon at the end of this year.

My interest in this journey will have to be getting better in cycling, running and swimming. I have been average at all 3 and I want to exceed that. I feel that my biggest challenge will be cycling, as I have done that for the least amount of years.

I feel extremely happy, because only 8 of us ended up entering out of 100+ other students. I look forward to seeing how this trip will end, because for now, the trip has just begun!
Kia ora my name is Quinlan. I am 11 years old and I am a Year 7 student from Pt England in Auckland.

I am really excited to be in the Iron Māori Triathlon down in Napier. I really want to work on my swimming, but I am also in a swimming squad down at YMCA Glen Innes on Saturdays.

My challenge is to work on biking on the spin bikes, even though it is really easy and fun but only on level 1,2,3 I have to work on level 6,7 and 8.

This is my story of my journey to the Iron Māori Triathlon.

Kia ora my name is Tyli and I am 12 years old.  I live with my family of 6, my Mum, step-Dad, little brother and my two sisters.

I am really excited about going to Napier to compete in the Iron Māori Triathlon.  This is a great opportunity for me to prove myself in another sport and I know I can do it.  I am not alone, there are 8 of us competing from my school.  We train 4 days a week during lunchtimes.  Mondays and Wednesdays we do cycling on the spin bikes at the YMCA Glen Innes fitness centre and on Tuesdays and Thursdays we practices swimming there too.

My favourite subjects are writing and Maths.  I love sports like Netball, Rugby, Soccer and Basketball.  Wish me some good luck for the triathlon!


 Kia ora, Ko Chelsea tōku ingoa.  I am 12 years old.  I am a whānau of waru, e teina haerērē i a kōtahi te teina iti me tuahine e rua and of course my Māmā and tāhirā Pāpā and me.

Receiving an opportunity to go to Napier and represent my school in the Iron Māori triathlon will be an extraordinary adventure withe some school students and Ms Tito.  The training that Ms Tito has managed to organise for us is helping me gain a lot more progress in my sports.  Being able to do this is an exciting and thrilling feeling.  We train at the YMCA Glen Innes Pools and Leisure Centre.

My favourite thing to do at school is writing and Maths.  I enjoy reading adventure stories.  I also love to play sports like Rugby, Netball, Soccer and Basketball because they're fun and that can also help me in my triathlon.  Every morning and Thursday afternoons I go our for a 3-6km run at the Panmure Lagoon with my Mum and twin sister Tyli.

Kia orana , my name is Khaia and I am 11 years old and I am turning 12 next month. I am part Cook Island, Niuean and Tahitian.  I live in a family of 6, 2 little sisters & 1 big sister, my mum, my dad and I cannot forget me.

Getting the opportunity to go to Napier and represent my school in the Iron Maori triathlon will be an awesome highlight of my life. The training for the triathlon  is helping me improve my training for other sports. We train at the YMCA Glen Innes Pool and Leisure Centre.  Every Monday and Wednesday at lunch time we go to the gym to do some cycling on the spin bikes and every Tuesday and Thursday we practise swimming..

My favourite subject is Maths. I love to play sports like netball and basketball because they are fun and energetic. I play club netball for Willowbank J1.   So far we are winning most of our games.  I also go on 6 km runs every Wednesday or I go around my block 5 times with my friend Lucy. Wish me luck in the triathlon.

 Talofa lava my name is Collin, I am 12 years old  and  I am in the Iron Maori Triathlon training squad.

I joined the Tri Squad because I think that sports is fun. The sport I am struggling most on is swimming and that is why Miss Tito is helping us train for this amazing event. Also I am so glad that YMCA Swimming Pools has helped us by letting us borrow swimming gear and use their spin bikes.
I can’t wait to travel down to Napier.

Fakalofa Lahi Atu, My name is Stevenson and I’m a Year 7 student attending Pt. England School.

This year 8 intermediate students were selected to train for the Iron Maori Tamariki - Rangatahi triathlon which is held annually down in Napier. I was one of the 8 chosen to compete in this amazing event. We have already started bike & swim training at the Glen Innes Y.M.C.A.

I’m feeling nervous because it is going to be my first time competing in a triathlon… also stoked as I will be racing along with my friends!!

Hi my name is Lee, I am a year 8 at Pt England school, I am 12 years old.

I can’t wait to learn better Technique for swimming, because swimming is not my strong point and that will help a lot.

I am feeling pumped about competing in Iron Māori but also quite nervous. I am looking forward to the run and bike ride.

2 comments:

  1. You guys are so talented and super duper awesome!! Cannot wait for the road trip to Napier and witnessing you all compete! So exciting! Keep up the training and you all will be pros! ����

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bring on December!

      I am really proud of the students and their commitment to this journey. They are keen and positive about the whole experience - They are focusing on their swimming techniques at the moment, and yep, heading towards being pros :)

      Delete